08 October, 2007

Lessons Learned After An Accident

Today was the first day of my new college semester. New timetable showed that my Monday classes starts and end at the same time with a college mate. So fetched her to college, and then fetched her home as well.

After dropping her at her home, while I was on my way home, at one of the cross junction, my car was hit by a on coming car.

At the cross junction, I was suppose to stop to see if there is any on coming cars, which I did. But it was raining heavily and my mirror was blurred by vapour, I saw no cars coming from any direction and I was clear to go. However, my judgment was wrong, there was a Grey Naza Ria coming from my left direction, it hit directly on the left of my car, there goes my left side's front and back door. I think the reason I could not see the car coming was probably the Naza Ria's light wasn't turned on, plus with the dark sky and it's Grey in colour.

The Naza Ria's driver was kind to check how was my condition. But my main concern was my car when I came down [ How am I going to travel around without a car? Never mind, make full use of public transport then. ]. Naza Ria's driver decided to make things easy by making a police report and insurance claim. I agreed with that. I'm in the wrong in the eyes of law, because Naza Ria had the priority to move, while my side has the "Berhenti" line. But too bad, I can't see it coming due to the blurred window. The driver apparently told me that he's actually rushing to send his daughter to college.

Photo courtesy of Mr Oh

I'm not cursing or going to blame anyone, if anyone is to be blamed, it would be yours truly for being careless. If it's meant to be, it's meant to be. I'm very grateful that I have no serious injuries in a serious accident I would say. My car almost turned turtle, call natural reflex of a skillful driver [ Cheewahhh :P ] or just plain pure luck, I managed to pull my steering to control it, something that my driving instructor told me before when I was learning how to drive [ How fortunate for being able to finally unleashed the skill ;P ].


Lessons Learned from this incident;

  • When it's raining, drive carefully. Finally I know why people around me always tell me that. Before this, I was overconfident. But now, I know I'm good, but it's other people that might suck. [LOL]
  • Window blurred and can't see clearly? take a few seconds to open your window to check how's the situation like. rather than trying to save a few seconds, you'll end up few hours trying to solve the problem ( wait for tow truck, go police station etc )
  • Managed to learn how to deal with insurance company thinggy when involved in an accident.
  • Knowing where, what and how to do a police report in an accident.

Photo courtesy of Mr Oh

No comments: