24 October, 2007

Course Preview - 5th Semester ( Changes made )

I started my new semester last week, where I got involved in an accident on the first day of my new semester itself. We only had lecture on the first week, whereas tutorial and practical starts from second week onwards. There are 5 subjects this semester;

Interpersonal Communication Skills
I was quite surprised to see the lecturer and tutor who is teaching us this subject. She taught us before in our very first semester of our course, and that was like 1 year and 14 weeks ago(roughly) ? She was teaching us Introduction to Information Technology practical classes back then. Judging from her first tutorial class, it's going to be interesting to have her teaching. Discussion without a one sided answer and learning from each other style.

Another lecturer walked into our lecture hall today. She introduced herself as Miss Kik, a lecturer who usually teaches Advertising courses. She told us that there is changes in the course programme, no idea what exactly the changes were, but she just follow orders from the college to lecture us. 1st lecture with her, and my name was already been called by her to answer question. A question on Johari Window and I gave the wrong asnwer. Anyway, she has a very interesting way of conducting her lectures and without using a mic to get her student's attention.

2 hours later, in our tutorial class of the same subject, a pretty tutor walked in to our tutorial venue. She introduced herself as Miss Cheng, a TAR College graduate in
Advanced Diploma in Media Studies, attended LJMU's Summer Semester Programme for her Degree and got her MA in International Journalism from Liverpool John Moores University last year.

Group Dynamics
Teaches us how to conduct group counselling. We'll have to work in pair with a classmate, and get at least 5 people who are willing to help us to help them. Taught by our head of school, Dr Chai. Previous year, our seniors seeked our help to help them to conduct their group counselling experiment. But my group's session ended up as a yam cha session with our seniors.

Counselling Methods & Techniques II
Continuation from Counselling Methods & Techniques I from semester 3. I enjoyed the practical classes in CM&T I, and I'll continue enjoying this one I guess? Lectures and Practical conducted by Miss Eva Li, while tutorial by Aggy Hooi, another lecturer/tutor whom I enjoy her class a lot. She was my class's tutor for Introduction to Psychology in our first semester. She's someone who challenges her students to think out of the box and not to rely too much on textbook.

Ethical and Legal Aspects of Counselling
I won't comment much on this subject. All I can say is I'm praying hard there is improvement in this subject's lecturer teaching style. Senior citizen Mr Kuan Ah Kan is the name of this subject's lecturer.

Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Taught by Miss Aggy Hooi. Need more I say about her?
I'm glad that she is teaching us. According to our senior, their batch got a part-time lecturer who isn't very good in teaching and made the subject very boring.


Sometimes, a dry subject can be fun if being taught by the correct person.

Although there are 5 subjects this semester, but I'll be sitting for 7 papers in total for finals.
I haven't pass two subjects from 4th semester ( notice that I did not say I fail, I said I haven't pass! ), Basic Management Principles and Family Counselling. Rumours are saying that 1/3 of the course ( around 40 students? ) did not pass Family Counselling and majority of them are pointing fingers at the lecturer. But for me, I'll take full responsibility for my own actions.

I've been hired by the college to coach at Co-curricular Gym-Workout Programme again this semester. I wasn't hired last semester because the Sports Coordinator of Gym-Workout Programme was on maternity leave and a guy took over and hired an all girls team of student assistant.

No comments: