02 August, 2007

Lower Back Pain

In the past 2 years, I've strained my lower back a few times because lifting things that are heavy with a wrong posture. Instead of bending my knees and squat to pick the items up, I bend over and lift instead. Besides that, If I can recall clearly, sometimes I even twist my body to look behind or talk to friends while lifting the heavy item.

Two days ago, I strained my back again while playing a game where we had to build a human pyramid structure. I was one of the few guys who act as the base of the pyramid, lifting our friends up. All of sudden I can feel my lower back 'gave way' or the feeling of being PULLED.

I try not to take any muscle relaxer or pain killers because it only 'covers' up the pain with the underlying problem still there. Whatever body movement that will strain the back more will cause pain, While taking drugs to 'cover' the pain, we tend to move our body over the limit that causes strain, but not being aware of it. So it's damaging it more without knowing it. Another way of saying this is It's important to know that the pain is there to know the limit of my body movement and posture.

Went to google-ed about "Lower Back Pain" and there are hundread over websites providing information on Lower Back Pain.

I personally found these two sites very beneficial to me.

What You Need to Know about Back Pain
Low Back Pain: Tips on Pain Relief and Prevention

No comments: