14 March, 2008

Course Preview - 6th Semester

The last and final semester for our Diploma year started last week, 3rd March 2008. I'm looking forward to end what I've started back in May 2006, to graduate with my Diploma. 3 subjects to be completed within 7 weeks.

Abnormal Psychology
Our senior told us once that when we study this subject, we'll somehow go abnormal as well.

Well yeah, literally. I'm glad that Miss Aggy Hooi is teaching us this subject. Like what I've mentioned last semester(4th semester) on Industrial & Organizational Psychology, she can make a dry subject to be very interesting with her unique way of teaching. In her tutorial classes, we can just walk in without any pen and paper. It's all about application questions discussion in her classes. She never believes scoring in exams based on what's on the textbook, but she believes in critical thinking, what is applicable in the real world.

But personally I think that this subject should be taught in earlier semesters, or probably replace some other languages or nation building subjects. You'll know why I think this subject should be taught earlier later.

Methods of Research in Psychology & Counselling
This subject will lay the foundation of writing thesis in our degree level education.
Lectured and tutored by Mr Ooi Boon Kuan, whom I heard that he's a former military guy. Not sure about it, just hear say. While practical will be guided by one of our course all time favorite, Mr Phillip Chung.

Counselling Practicum
Once a week thinggy, which I personally feel it's not adequate for us to be exposed to what we need to be exposed to. I'm currently having my practicum attachment with Ezra at HUKM Psychiatry Department/Ward/Clinic. Under guidance of Counsellors, Medical Officers and Doctors (depending on who's free on the day we are at our practicum site). I shall not reveal too much on this due to confidentiality issue.

The reason I said that Abnormal Psychology should have been covered in earlier semester is because of our practicum placement. Be it in any NGO, Psychology,Psychiatry or Counselling centre, it would be good for us to cover that subject earlier to somehow or rather help us during our practicum placement.

Ezra and I for instance, sometimes we are lost during our discussions with the Psychiatry department staffs. Luckily we've made our own initiative for read ups before practicum started, else we'll probably look real stupid during our practicum.


And for this last and final semester, I'll have to resit Interpersonal Communication Skills from last semester. That was the only paper that I got C- . I probably paid too much attention on the hot lecturer and tutor instead of what they are teaching.

4 subjects in 7 weeks. I wish my course mates all the best! Let's graduate according to the expected time frame :-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

boooo!

Jason Lee Kang Xian said...

Keimelia, you are so lame =.="