15 January, 2008

A Question Posted by My Coursemate

Ezra posted on Private Institutions That Offers Undergraduate Psychology Course - Updated

Hey
i still cant figure out whether to take advance or degree
financial concerns and all
plus im not sure about the benefits of goin overseas to take my degree.
I thought we are supposed to learn about malaysian culture and not the culture from overseas so that we can counsel malaysians.
i hope that u could blog on that

Ezra's question;

1. Advance vs Degree

Based on my personal opinion after I've went through other institutions' Psychology programme syllabus, I would say that TAR College's Psychology programme standard is abysmally low for the course of it's kind that is available in Malaysia. Read more to know what's the main reason.

Before I proceed, let me explain the route of progression in TAR College. SPM leavers who has 5 credits including English are entitled to be enrolled into Diploma in Social Science (Counselling). It's a two years (4 semesters and 2 short semesters) programme. Upon completing Diploma, students who chooses to continue their education at TAR College progresses to Advanced Diploma in Social Science (Psychology) for another 2 years (4 semesters), and finally for a Bachelor Degree, students who chooses this route will HAVE to join Summer Semester Programme at Liverpool John Moores University(LJMU).

No doubt students enjoy the opportunity of Summer Semester Programme by going to LJMU for 3 months to complete their Bsc(Hons) Human Psychology, but in my humble opinion the period is too short for us to even start adapting to the new environment, or for some, just began to adapt.

A recent informal interaction between our course seniors who are in their 2nd year of Advanced Diploma with
LJMU's Summer Semester Programme leader for Psychology, Professor Noel Sheehy ( which I shamelessly joined to in to ask questions although the meeting wasn't for us in Diploma level ), I understand that there will be no Industrial attachment/posting/training provided to students who complete their Degree via the route mentioned earlier.

The lack of or should I say non existence of industrial attachment/posting/training in our syllabus itself is a big lost for students in terms of exposure to the working world.

However, students do get a practicum experience during their last semester in Diploma level. But again, I do not believe that students will gain MUCH from the practicum arranged in our syllabus. Students are arranged for practicum once a week for the duration of 7 weeks. Summing them up, we only go to our practicum posting for a total of 7 times only.

But for students who are not concerned about industrial experience and intend to pursue a Post Graduate course that is offered by LJMU, this progression route would be for them because the courses are offered to the Summer Semester Students at discounted prices.

On the other hand, other institutions that I've mentioned in my previous post do have Industrial Posting/Placement as part of their syllabus, except for Raffles School of Psychology which I will inquire more later on in regards to Industrial Placement.

2. Financial concern

If you intend to pursue your Degree locally, you can always apply for PTPTN loan. But that doesn't mean your dreams of studying abroad is crushed because of financial issues, you can still apply for study loan from various organizations or bank, if you don't mind paying back with interest after graduating.

3. Benefits of studying abroad

Again, my personal opinion says It depends on individual. I think the article The Benefits of Study Abroad " by Mary M. Dwyer, Ph.D. and Courtney K. Peters would be a good read up.

4.I thought we are supposed to learn about Malaysian culture and not the culture from overseas so that we can counsel Malaysians

If I can remember clearly, we do have a module called Malaysia: Cultural & Religious Practices during our 3rd semester. Although we used textbooks from United States, but the theories can still be applied here. Our assignment topics given during that semester for this particular subject was to analyze Malaysian culture based on a few local production movies.

I decided to make this entry a post instead of replying to Ezra's comment after having deep considerations for my course mates who are still undecided and not clear with what is lying ahead of them. I hope based on my limited knowledge,resource and survey, it will help them in their decision making. But then again, please do find out the information first hand by yourself as well before deciding/making any conclusion.

Disclaimer: Informations posted are correct at the time of posting and may change without notification. I shall not bear any responsibilities in anyways for any form of damages caused by reader's decision due to my entry posting.

4 comments:

Ezra said...

Very useful information, especiall by By Mary M. Dwyer, Ph.D. I din know
seems like studyin overseas isnt such a bad choice after all
maybe im just scared la
cuz who knows what will happen overseas

Unknown said...

Lets get exposed with guai lous cultureeeeee.

Money money money

Anonymous said...

Hi, Im one of your seniors.
I did my "internship" with Malaysia Care during my 3-months long semester break (AdvDip).
If you really concern about internship, maybe you can consider to spend your long semester break with NGOs.
The structure of the Summer Top-up Degree Program doesn't allow us to have internship or practicum in Britain. We cannot expect much from such a short-term study.

Jason Lee Kang Xian said...

Dear anonymous senior,

thank you and it's nice to have you responding here to give us some advice in regards to the issue being discussed. :)

I wonder what made you found this post?