16 January, 2008

Practicum Placement


I first approach National Sports Institute hoping to get into the Sport Psychology Centre for my practicum placement. NSI accepted us with the condition of having our practicum done 5 days per week. However, our college rationale only allows us once per week. There goes my opportunity have a taste of working in NSI and more specifically the Sport Psychology Centre.

To be honest I was pretty pissed off that it's because of the college rationale that stops me from getting exposure in the field of Sports Psychology. External factor rather than internal factor. Oh well, at least I get to step into the National Sports Institute building. *shrugs!*

This morning, just hours after answering my course mate's question as a post entry in regards to our education, I received a text message from the Social Science programme leader, asking me to call her back. I thought I was in deep shit for criticizing the programme, or failed her assignment. You know, usually those who received phone calls from her, it's never good news. Those are people who fail in coursework, got barred from exams and the list goes on.

I called her up, braving myself to face whatever consequences for my action.



And indeed, I'll be facing the consequences for sending the practicum opportunity request letter to HUKM. They accepted our request and I'll be posted to HUKM Psychiatry department along with Ezra in our last semester of Diploma programme for our practicum.


Till then.

4 comments:

Ezra said...

Thanks for all the help bro
and our practical right
too short for tarc
we don't learn much
they only focus on the theories and not practicals which is much more important
I feel that experience is whats needed in the field of counseling
What do u think?
If u can, please blog on this

Jason Lee Kang Xian said...

Ezra,

I can't really blog in detail on the issue mentioned by you.

But generally, you are right, we are lacking of hands on opportunity/training.

But again, we are only at Diploma level, and we are actually pursuing a general degree in Psychology and not specializing in Counselling yet.

I never have the chance to see public Universities' syllabus of their Counselling course. UPM actually offers Bachelor of Counselling, and a friend of mine who graduated with Bac Of Counselling in UPM told me she has industrial training as if she's working, unlike us, going there once a week.

Like what i've mentioned in my previous post, we are lacking of industrial training/experience if we complete our Degree via TARC's Advance Diploma route. But I'm talking about lacking of industrial training/experience as a Psychology student rather than Counselling here.


P/s: You and I are rather lucky for being able to secure a spot in HUKM. If we were to go to orphanage and all, it's going to be more like doing voluntary work, which I'm already actively doing. I believe in HUKM we'll get more experience of the 'working world'.

Ezra said...

Yea
Useful info
Damn TARC
Rigid as hell

Samantha said...

ancient guy! update sumthing interesting la... haha...