15 February, 2007

My Birthday

Yes, Happy Birthday to myself today. I was born 1 day after Valentine's Day, and 2 days before Chinese New Year in 1988. So I'm considered to be born in the year of Rabbit in the Chinese Zodiac Calendar. I'm not a Dragon boy :'~(

When I was young, probably from age 1-6, my parents used to celebrate my birthday for me without fail. Birthday cake, cooking good food and inviting people whom are familiar to our family.

When I was 7 onwards, before my birthday, I would start demanding for things for my birthday, to make it MY DAY! Therefore, it's a MUST for my parents to fulfil my demands. It could be anything, from a bicycle, to the latest video game and the list goes on. I remember I would sometimes be unfair towards my parents by demanding more ON my birthday itself if they were to give me my present BEFORE my birthday. How smart am I?

All this happen until I was 14. I overheard a conversation somewhere I could not recall where? Or was I dreaming? I’m not sure. But it just flows by where I heard that for some children, their birthday is also their mother’s death day due to birth complication.

When I heard about that, I paused for a moment to think about it. And it totally changed my view on children celebrating birthdays.

I came to a point that on my birthday; it’s the day I should be grateful that I was born safely without birth complication, I was raised by two wonderful parents and since I was born, my parent has been ‘GIVING’ me all the time(Both tangible and non-tangible), not only on my birthday. So, what there is more to be demanded?

Since then onwards, I never had the thought of wanting my parents to celebrate or giving me anything on my birthday. Even friends, I don’t expect any material things from them. It’s not all about wanting people around me making me happy only, But EVERYBODY around me, Family members and people I am familiar with, should be happy as well.

On my birthday, it’s the day I should be counting my blessings and be grateful. I would also think about the less fortunate, and try my best to do small contributions with my small savings. To me, it’s all about gratitude and 'giving back'.


P/s: Thank you to all my friends whom sent me Birthday greetings. May you all too enjoy what you've wished me.

No comments: