09 May, 2012

Project What's After SPM - Part 1/2


This project was initiated somewhere in 2009, was supposed to launch in 2010, but due to various issues ( I heard ) this project was delayed until July 2011. As I read my own story after buying 3 copies from MPH ( contributors were given a free copy, but I'm bought to support this project ), it doesn't reflect my situation anymore.

You can read the original write-up that I sent for this project below ;


To Sport or Not?

Lee Kang Xian, 21, better known as Jason Lee to his peers, is a Diploma in Social Science (Counselling) graduate from TAR College, a freelance Certified Fitness Trainer accredited by the International Sports Sciences Association and National Exercise and Sports Trainer Association.  He is currently pursuing a major in Psychology at UCSI University.

Without much interest in studies, I contemplated quitting high school when I was 14 – and I would have, if not for my interest in sports.  I was a school and district representative in basketball and taekwondo, almost making it to the state level if not for my injuries.  I was actively competing until 2005, the year of my SPM examinations, in which I underwent two operations on my right knee due to an injury suffered at a Taekwondo competition.  As a result, my ‘career’ in competitive sports ended prematurely.  I stayed home for four months in preparation for SPM, as it was inconvenient for me to attend school. 

While waiting for my SPM results, I undertook several administrative jobs, ranging from data entry to telemarketing.  My stint ended as soon as it began, for I discovered that the office environment only limited me.  During this time span, I started exploring paths I could pursue, one of which was Sports Science.  However, there were not many private institutions offering such courses back then.  Sports Psychology was another option.  Unfortunately, it was only available for students pursuing postgraduate studies after completing an undergraduate degree in Psychology.  I found that Psychology also offers a wide career prospect in Advertising and Human Resource, to name a few, besides dealing with mental illness.

Having received my SPM results, I discovered that TAR College was offering Sports & Exercise Science as a pioneer course.  I opted for it while Social Science stood as my second choice.  Ultimately, I was offered Social Science with a major in Counselling instead.  Nevertheless, I decided to enrol into TAR College’s Diploma in Social Science (Counselling) programme for two reasons.  Firstly, I wanted to transfer credits to The University of South Australia under their special 2+1 collaboration, where I could graduate with a degree in Psychology within three years.  Secondly, I only needed to commit myself to two years in the Diploma programme if I found myself at odds with the course. 

To my surprise, I enjoyed studying at college.  I took pleasure from the free and intellectual discussions, gradually looking at my surroundings in a wider perspective.  During the second semester of my first year, I was hired as a Student Assistant in the college’s gym co-curricular programme, having passed the same co-curricular test earlier.  My task was similar to a Fitness Instructor: coaching students in cardiovascular, strength and flexibility training.  I truly enjoyed what I was doing and was glad for such an unexpected opportunity.

Thereafter, I started inquiring about careers in the fitness industry and uncovered some bright prospects.  As such, I pursued an internationally recognised certification as a fitness trainer for a year with the prestigious International Sports Sciences Association.  I continued working with the college as a Student Assistant-cum-Fitness Instructor for almost two years, after which I completed my diploma progamme in 2008.  As part of my undergraduate programme, I did a weekly practicum at the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Unit of UKM Medical Centre for seven weeks, deciding immediately to scratch a career in Clinical or Counseling Psychology off my options. 

After completing my diploma, I worked as a Personal Trainer with a renowned fitness centre in the South East Asian region.  As I reflected on whether to pursue a degree in Psychology or Sports Science, I met a senior trainer in the fitness centre who graduated from University Malaya in Sports Science, with almost 14 years of experience in the industry.  He encouraged me to pursue a degree in Psychology instead.  The reason was simple: the prospects for Sports Science in Malaysia are limited, while fitness certifications from US-based organisations such as the American College of Sports Medicine gain higher standing.

With that said, after a month at the fitness centre, I decided to enrol into UCSI University’s degree in Psychology programme.  This decision was stemmed by the internship opportunities extended by UCSI University.  Personally, I find that internship opportunities are important to further explore our areas of interest besides gaining valuable work experience. 

Today, I am a Psychology student, a freelance Certified Fitness Trainer with the International Sports Sciences Association and National Exercise and Sports Trainer Association, and lately, an event photographer.  I am taking every opportunity available to diversify my skills through UCSI University’s academic and internship programme.  Looking ahead, I aspire to intern with the Sports Psychology Department of the National Sports Institute to determine if Sports Science is indeed the path for me.  As I embark on this journey, the initial goal set before me may ultimately vary as I tread upon this vast open field, overflowing with endless opportunities.


Now that I've completed my Bachelor of Arts (Hons) Psychology from UCSI University, I'll share my thoughts and experience with you in my next post as my published write-up in this project doesn't reflect my situation anymore. 

No comments: